This is really simple, but if you don't know the trick, you can burn up a waterboxer Vanagon engine. With the radiator so far removed from the engine, it's very important to jump through this hoop. Anytime you've introduced air into the coolant system (such as a new radiator hose or head work, etc.) don't run it for more than a minute or so without doing this.
Raise the right front of the Van. It must be the highest point. I run my Vanagon's right front tire up on an embankment, but I suppose you could just jack up this corner. Then remove the grill with the large plastic flat screws (turning 90 degrees counter-clockwise). With the enginge running, go to the upper corner of the radiator nearest the right front wheel, and loosen the bleeding bolt. As the engine warms, air, then water and air, then steady water, will exit this bleeding bolt. Don't retighten until you are getting steady water with no bubbles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I have lots to learn about VWs! Maybe you can offer a staff development class - I only need 7 more hours before August!
Does some of this apply to a '69 beetle, too?
tennis30: You may have other problems, but bleeding the radiator is not among them (no radiator to bleed).
Post a Comment